I have a family. I am actually part of three different ones.
There is the one that I came from – my parents and siblings. The one I married
into – my husband’s kinfolk. And the one that I have made with Jason – us and
our babies. Before I write this, I want
to preface it - because I do love a good preface:
I know that, through good sense or terrible misfortune, not
everyone has a group of people to call family. I know that I am lucky to no end
to be a part of 3 different ones. I know the following post is one that comes
from a place of privilege. All the same, my experience with family has spanned
really good, kinda bad, and stupid ugly.
Second preface - I’m also not gonna define family for you.
Some folks consider their best friend from college to be a sister and the old
man next door to be like a grandpa. Who am I to say they aren’t? It’s your call
who your family is. Some families are unicorns on chocolate clouds. Some are
gum on the bottom of a shoe. Traditional or not, most of us have a combination
of both and everything in between.
My preface is complete.
So what does family have to do with me being fat? Or vice
versa? What is the correlation between family, body positivity,
self-exploration, and learning to love myself?
UHM – JUST EVERYTHING.
Here’s the thing. Family plays a huge role in how we learn
to perceive ourselves. When society treats you like shit for being different in
any way, it’s family that either helps you form resilience in the way you feel
about yourself, or they can reaffirm the messages you are getting from
everywhere else. Basically, it’s your family that can pick you up or kick you
when you are down.
See? Family has EVERYTHING to do with body positivity.
Let’s discuss my body-image trauma’s, shall we?
As a child, I was chubby, but not obese. I played outside
all the time, was a gymnast, and on the jump rope team at school. But Kool-Aid
with extra sugar was the drink of choice in our house, and Friday pizza was a
ritual, so math and genetics laid rightful claim to the space where there was
never to be a thigh gap.
![]() |
| 2nd Grade Business Casual |
My weight created hard situations, but I persevered, because
that’s who I am. I made good grades. I had friends. Despite being made very
well aware of my weight, I never let it stop me from getting out there or
achieving my goals. However, I did endure my fair share of bullying. From the
humiliation of having my weight announced aloud in front of my gym class in the
6th grade (was privacy not a thing in the 90’s?), to having a swim
coach ask me, “my god what are you eating to be so big?”, I learned very early
and hard that being fat – even thought I was an awesome kid - was unacceptable.
Side bar: Who remembers the public humiliation of the “Presidential
Fitness Test?” AKA – let’s see who has and hasn’t hit puberty yet based on how
uncomfortable they are while they run a timed mile in an uncomfortable bra with
new boobs... That stuff was traumatizing
Anyhow, when I was dubbed with the lovely nickname of “Gravy”
by a classmate named Don Brown who had a rat tail that went all the way down
his back, I discovered my short temper. I landed myself in the hot seat after I
busted his nose with a dodgeball on purpose while screaming at him that he was,
in fact, an “asshole.” I SWEAR I WAS A GOOD KID. I simply reached my limit with
being tormented. When I got home though, I was not comforted and or told, “good
job for defending yourself” or “you are a great kid and you can always come to
me.” Nope. Despite my otherwise glowing track record for behavior, grades,
etc., I was severely reprimanded for getting into trouble at all. To my tearful
protestations, I can still hear, clear as day, my mother saying, “if you don’t
want them to tease you, Missy, then lose weight.”
And that is when I learned the sad truth; being fat
precludes you from being understood or being extended grace or mercy. Even occasionally
from those who love, or are supposed to love you.
There are lots of mean and nasty soundbites that run through
my head in my mother’s voice. She’s not a bad woman; I turned out pretty great.
But I am not sure, nor will I ever be sure, about how much of my character is a
result of the parenting I received and how much of my character is in spite of
the parenting I received. It just took me several years of being loved
unconditionally by husband for me to learn what being loved felt like. Then I
realized I needed to love myself as much as he does, so here we are... Only
then did I realize the role the family I grew up with played in my development
of anxiety, people pleasing, and an eating disorder.
![]() |
| My mom and I on my wedding day. I don't hate her... just some of the things she says. |
Oh, yes... my eating disorder. Let me introduce you,
readers, to one of the big skeletons in my closet... Meet my restrictive eating
pattern, better known as anorexia. “But she’s fat! She can’t have an eating
disorder!” I can. And I do. Eating disorders sufferers are not always severely
underweight. Educate yourselves, please. An eating disorder is a coping
mechanism which people use to deal with various trauma and emotions. In times of
stress, sadness, anger, or frustration, my brain likes to tell me that everyone
in my life would be happier, healthier, and better off if I stop eating. So I
stop eating until my brain shuts off for a bit. Why? Well, because I have been
told my entire life that any problem I have would go away if I wasn’t fat. “Healthy
mindset Melissa” knows these things are silly and untrue, but 16 year old
Melissa who felt rejected, misunderstood, different, and alone, found solace
and comfort in the hollow grumblings of a deprived stomach. Hell, 32 year old
Melissa still finds satisfaction in not eating when other people are... It will
be a battle I fight my entire life.
Moving on. Don’t feel bad for me. There are a lot of people
who had much worse childhoods. Honestly, a little emotional abuse can’t keep me
down. My life still turned out pretty damn great.
The great part of family is where Jason and my siblings comes in. My husband is the cream of the
crop. He has loved every inch of my mind, body, and soul through marriage, grad
school, babies, career obstacles, faith changes, and family challenges. He has
rescued me from dark places, and I have gotten to return the favor. We’re a
team in all we do. My siblings are the people that I laugh hardest and talk longest with. We know what our lives were really like, and we are proud of what each other has accomplished. We don't even pull each others hair anymore...
![]() |
| Me and Jason before kids |
![]() |
| My siblings and I around '88 |
This is the part of the post where I tell any fat people
that finding love, real unconditional love, doesn’t require you to change one
bit. You can be loved the way you are. And, you deserve to be loved the way you
are. Sometimes you find that love in family, friends, or a romantic partner. The first time I can remember being loved honestly and openly was with Jason. To be open to the idea that I was deserving of
more than what I had been told I was was difficult for me. I was failing miserably at loving myself;
I still treated myself horribly, but I was trying to be open. And then he was there.
And so was his family.
Deep breath.
My husband comes from a long line of good people. But the
truth is, his immediate family hasn’t always, and still may not, like me. My weight,
and the weights of random strangers, other family members, acquaintances, and even
their own weights, are often topics of conversation. There is no question that
my husband’s immediate family believes thin = better and it disappointed them
when he chose me to be his bride.
We’ve been married 8.5 years and have 3 children, but I
still feel like an outsider, walking on eggshells, when my husband’s immediate
family is together, because I believe happy = better. Historically, I have been
accused of controlling him, driving a wedge between him and his family,
derailing and ruining his life, tricking him into children, and of course,
being lazy and fat. And I am still not sure what I did that set the chain in
motion... I am not sure I ever will. But the damage is something that we are
cautiously repairing with time, controlled exposure, and boundaries.
These interactions with his family hurt. Bad. And relapsed a
two year battle with my eating disorder that had been put to bed for a solid
four years. Here I had people who had known Jason a lot longer than me
evaluating what we had and deciding that the unconditional love he brought to
me was unwarranted and undeserved simply because they saw *fat* before they saw
*me*. It was a sad time in our marriage; the only sad time really. I would
often tell him how he deserved so much better, and that he and the kids should
leave me and find someone beautiful and thin; someone his family could love. I
pushed him away and shut him out. I let the emptiness of my stomach convince me
that he could never have loved me anyways. That I was a terrible person now
that he was stuck with me because I had his children. Basically, those long
term tummy grumblings wanted me to believe I didn’t deserve how hard he loved
me.
What was most hurtful was knowing there were regular conversations
happening about me regarding my weight, with no regard for my emotional state.
I had delivered two healthy, happy kids, finished grad school, and worked full
time for most of that. It took nearly 1.5 years of limited/no contact and
therapy for me to recover from knowing my husband’s brother and father carried
on conversations about our life, my body, and my character. It broke my heart
and I am not sure I will ever be comfortable enough with these people I am supposed
to call family to let my guard down.
But, I persevered through a mom who wasn’t emotionally keyed
into motherhood. I persevered through Don Brown in calling me ‘Gravy.’ And I
will persevere through in-laws and all that entails. The thing is, I might get down
for the count, but I’m never out. I might be fat, but I don’t quit.
So, let’s talk about the really good parts of family. Can
we? Because these good parts have more than made up for so many of the not so
good ones! I have three siblings that are incredible people. We hated each
other in childhood, but we have formed adult friendships that are deep and
strong. I have friends that I consider sisters; that have cried with me over
dark times, laughed with in the good times, and grown with in the hard times. Also,
I have Jason. Have I mentioned that he is the love of my life?!?!? Yes?
![]() |
| The good stuff. |
![]() |
| My siblings around '07 |
But, for me, the best part of family, is being a mother. Hence, The Fat Mom. This is
where the words are hard to find because it is a feeling I genuinely cannot
describe. I know not everyone can/will/wants to be a mom, and that is cool. It’s
just my favorite of all the hats I get to wear. I get to help three
people know they are valuable just as they are. I get to tell them that their bodies,
and the bodies of others, are simply houses for hearts that feel and love, and
need goodness and love in return. I get to show them that other people don’t
get to have a say in the way they feel about themselves; that they can do anything,
and that they don’t have to be the best at everything. I get to be the one that
tells them that the bullies are wrong; that they are beautiful, capable, and
kind.
After years of poor family relationships having such a
negative impact on my body image, I am excited that I get to change the world
through these little people.
Family is hard sometimes. The thing that makes it family is
that you can’t get rid of them. I have been hurt, yes. And some of you reading
may think that these people I am related to are horrible; they aren’t. Insufferable,
maybe, but not bad. And I have a choice to either cut them out and preserve my







You are incredible. so much of this mirrors my life and growing up in a southern home with lots of guilt and shame with weight !
ReplyDeleteYour words are healing for me . Can't wait for the next post !
You, ma'am have become one of my most favorite extended family members, even though I have only seen you, or spoken to you, a handful of times. I look forward to every one of your writings, because no matter the subject, you have been blessed with the ability to sufficiently express the hard truths that are everyday life. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this journey!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your truth. I hope that your words are as healing for you as they are for other women who have gone through the same experiences. Much love.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and heartfelt! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete