The good news? Anyone waiting for a spot at SASC or Faith
Presbyterian will have their chance in January. Get by your phones!
The bad news? It’s because our time in Tallahassee has come
to a close. Our family is moving to Knoxville, TN the week between Christmas
and New Year’s. Our house is going on
the market as soon as our Realtor is
back from vacation in mid-November.
I wish I could say this is because of an amazing job
opportunity- that we will make tons of
money and we are essentially riding off into the sunset. It’s not exactly that.
Don’t misunderstand – the market in Knoxville for what Jason does is
significantly better than it is in Tallahassee. It is a bigger city with lots
of private industry career opportunities as opposed to Tallahassee, which is
completely contracting for the state government. He will actually have the
chance to grow within a company and expand his skill set, as opposed to scrounging for a contract every
few years, with crappy benefits and lower than industry average pay. Something really different is
what we were looking for when he resigned in July. A CAREER – not a job. We
have several irons in the fire, and it is only a matter of time before he is working again.
I wish I could post pictures of a house we have already
offered on, that is a huge yard with an open floor plan and tons of natural
light pouring into the designer kitchen, but I can’t. We are currently scrounging for a
short term rental that will simply take our dog (and kids!) Three months of
unemployment doesn’t look super great to mortgage companies (even when you have
impeccable credit) I get it. Those pictures will have to come next Spring.
I wish we had made this choice under different
circumstances, but Jason has been actively looking for work for 3+ months. We
first expanded the job search to other areas of Florida – Jacksonville and
Pensacola... then Orlando. Then recruiters would mention other markets that were
“on fire” for people like Jason in other states. So, we considered living apart
while Jason would take shorter term, higher paying contracts and travel. The
problem is, we tried it. For one week I took our kids to DISNEY while Jason
went to Tennessee indefinitely for a family emergency. It was awful. At the
happiest place on earth all my kids wanted was their dad. All I wanted was
their dad. All he wanted was us. Mind you, this was seven days. There is no way
we were going to last weeks at a time on just a few weekend visits. I commend
the families that manage this lifestyle. It is not for the faint of heart
- which is exactly what I am.
After about 7 weeks, we said, “Fine. Open up to anywhere and
we will see what is out there!”
And the calls came. Austin. All over California. The
Midwest. But nothing felt right. We would browse the housing, cities, and
school districts of the more interesting jobs that would call and just not feel
as good about those places as we do about Tally. We would let the opportunity
pass, and continue searching for either short term contracts away or local
positions in Tally. Until one day a recruiter from Knoxville called with a
request for someone who “loves to swim in data.” That is Jason. He loves data.
He loves to do technical stuff to it. The job was intriguing. And we already
know about Knoxville because Jason went to college there for a couple years and
my sister lives there. We have visited and loved it each time we have gone.
And the clouds parted. Light shone down. Angels sang.
For the first time in months we felt optimistic about a job
and a place at the same time. Genuine excitement at the thought of “anustart”
(if you get that reference, I will miss you most!) I wish this choice didn't look like a choice born of desperation from the outside looking in. Because the truth is, we have options. There are still people calling Jason about Tallahassee jobs that would quickly restore our life to what it was. Or, bigger moves to more remote places that would change our lifestyle completely by lowering the cost of living while increasing our income... But none of those options feel right the way this does. If you had asked us when Jason left his job in July if we were planning to move, the answer would have been a hard "NO!" I am glad things have gone the way they have - it has opened our eyes to what we really need and want. The simple truth is, Knoxville is where we feel like we are supposed to be right now. I mean, look at the skyline!
We will miss the life we have made in Tallahassee. But, the screaming emanating from my front yard as my kids load up for
school is becoming too regular of an indicator to ignore that it is time for a change. We need it. The kids need it. We built something beautiful here, but we aren’t
done building. We need something different than what we can get here, and Knoxville has what we are looking for. I love that
so many families have called Tallahassee home for generations, and this time
last year, I thought we would be one. But whatever is running this universe has
a different plan.
So, we are trading Disney for Dollywood. Beaches for
mountains and white water rafting. Seminoles for the Vols! Sweltering summers for four definitive
seasons (the cold will take some adjusting, but my winter body game is strong –
I will survive!) The kids are excited for snow and for the first time in my life, I am, too! We will miss you so much, but we are excited for even more for this next chapter! To Tennessee we return!



No comments:
Post a Comment