Here are pictures that are almost 15 years old...
![]() |
| Travel Between Semester |
![]() |
| Fixing a friend's car |
![]() |
| Adventures galore |
![]() |
| The death of my favorite pair of running shoes |
Meet 21 year old Melissa. She had no clue, but she was a pretty hot piece of ass. Long naturally curly blonde hair. A beautiful tan from
laying on the North Shore beaches of Oahu. She could captivate a room full of
people by doing impressions or walking that fine line between funny and crude.
Her whole future was ahead of her and she had not a care in the world.
In retrospect, those college years were absolutely the best
years of my life. 21 year old Melissa totally had it made. I mean, Hawaii, no
kids, and enough money to get a crab and bacon sandwich at Ted’s and fly to the Big Island to camp for the weekend… There is no
way it could get better than that. Unfortunately, those Hawaii years ended. I graduated and moved home to Tennessee. My efforts were solely focused on traveling the world and returning to Hawaii before I was 25. I would grow old in the sand and somehow transform into one of the wise old Polynesian women I had come to know and love.
Ah. The aspirations of a naïve little girl. Since I am 34
and writing this in Knoxville, you are safe in assuming I have neither returned
to Hawaii nor have I become Polynesian.
No. Instead you can meet 24 year old Melissa. Softer, but still a pretty bangin’ bod. Long blonde curls still firmly attached to a head that fell in love and started graduate school. The tan had faded as I traded Hawaiian beaches for the comfort of my hometown in Tennessee. I was a googly eyed newlywed with no intentions of having children – I just didn’t want any of it. Jason and I were both students and spent more time than not on campus. We were ambitious… Finishing gradaute school, getting a fancy professional job where I got to wear suit pants and blouses (that word just makes me giggle… especially when it’s pronounces like blouzes) were my main concerns. Two incomes, debt free, and retired traveling the world by 40 – that was the plan.
No. Instead you can meet 24 year old Melissa. Softer, but still a pretty bangin’ bod. Long blonde curls still firmly attached to a head that fell in love and started graduate school. The tan had faded as I traded Hawaiian beaches for the comfort of my hometown in Tennessee. I was a googly eyed newlywed with no intentions of having children – I just didn’t want any of it. Jason and I were both students and spent more time than not on campus. We were ambitious… Finishing gradaute school, getting a fancy professional job where I got to wear suit pants and blouses (that word just makes me giggle… especially when it’s pronounces like blouzes) were my main concerns. Two incomes, debt free, and retired traveling the world by 40 – that was the plan.
![]() |
| Our only race together - The RC Cola Moon Pie Festival - 6 blissful months of marriage |
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Here is a note on parenting – the kids
usually win.
So meet 27 year old new mom Melissa. My body was now officially a soft mom bod. My long blonde curls gradually became shorter, straighter, thinner, and darker. My tan was absolute history – although we had found semi-regular beach attendance by moving to Florida for graduate school. As much as I was struggling with the physical changes that come with motherhood, I had never felt such a continuous abundance of love. I was quite stunned at how much I enjoyed being a parent when my perception of parenthood had been so daunting. As much as what I had pictured for my life was no longer possible, that 8lb 8oz bundle changed it all for the better. My plans of endless travel and carefree clean house may be on hold, but the love, y’all. I can’t even describe it.
She completed me. Us. She made us a family and unlocked at big
space in my heart. It was, without a doubt the best time of our lives. I could
die happy knowing I had met her. THIS is what it was all about. I finally got it. So meet 27 year old new mom Melissa. My body was now officially a soft mom bod. My long blonde curls gradually became shorter, straighter, thinner, and darker. My tan was absolute history – although we had found semi-regular beach attendance by moving to Florida for graduate school. As much as I was struggling with the physical changes that come with motherhood, I had never felt such a continuous abundance of love. I was quite stunned at how much I enjoyed being a parent when my perception of parenthood had been so daunting. As much as what I had pictured for my life was no longer possible, that 8lb 8oz bundle changed it all for the better. My plans of endless travel and carefree clean house may be on hold, but the love, y’all. I can’t even describe it.
Then we did that two more times. My suit pants slowly transitioned
to being hooked with a rubber band. My thinner and straighter hair was often in a ponytail, then abused beyond belief and lobbed off into a pixie… My skin revolted anytime I
even glanced at makeup. My life felt heavy. Work, family, school, repeat… I
eventually traded the suit pants for leggings, and work for the stay at home
mom life. Some might laugh at this point and say, “I never looked back” but the
truth be told, I look back. A lot. Usually longingly.
Before we moved to Knoxville, I found myself in a place of complacency.
Going through the motions to meet the needs of the ones I am responsible for. I
often found myself working to “get back” to the historical versions of Melissa. The single beauty
in Hawaii. The newlywed. The new mom… I felt like no matter how hard I tried, I
would never get those parts of my life back. I feared I would just be another
fat mom hollerin’ at her kids and grandkids in trademark southern phrases until I died.
I introduced you to all these versions of me for a reason. Last
week, my family went on vacation. A week at the beach and pool, with naps and
snuggles in between. Within 12 hours of being there, I found myself missing
being so close to the beach. Missing our backyard pool in Tallahassee. Looking
at our time in Tallahassee the way I have looked at the other seasons of my life
– as the best years that can never be recaptured. A time that was so good we
weren’t worthy of keeping it.
The simple fact is, my current life isn’t as glamorous as my
previous ones. At all. I sleep very little. I only go shopping when necessary and never for fashion but function alone. My options to dine out are limited to places with a rewards app,
a playplace, or a drive through. I drive a Kia minivan with a quarter jammed in
the CD player and scratches from kids bikes being ridden too close; currently
it also smells and I don’t know why. There are $700 worth of car seats that are
rotated regularly to make room for bikes, groceries, library books, and to reduce
the opportunity for swinging arms to make contact with siblings. I wake up
before the sun but somehow still only have time to shower about three times a week. I
worry that my house isn’t clean enough and that I will never be good enough. I don't know a single parent who can't identify with at least some of that...
Seeing how sad I was, instead of hopping right back on the
interstate, Jason drove along A1A with the windows down listening the the Jack Johnson
station on Pandora. He was trying to extend that connection to who I was and the freedom of what my life used to be. He reached over from the driver seat and slipped his
hand in mine. The song “Don't Worry" came on... Bob Marley has a way to reach the deepest parts of me.
And I felt all the people I once was. The college girl on the beach. The young wife. The new mom. They
were all right there.
In that moment, driving along A1A, I felt the highlight
reel of my life, not in retrospect, but as it was happening. Everything slowed down. I heard my kids
laughing as the wind snapped their blonde hair around. I felt Jason’s warmth, appreciation, and love for me as his thumb stroked my hand. The music and the beach view filled me with hope and peace that "every little thing, is gonna be alright..." I remembered that all those people, who were beautiful and had done amazing things, were sitting in the same seat as me.
And I managed to feel the beauty of where I am.
So often, we only feel the weight of our life. In my case, it is often
the literal weight. We think our lives will be better if we could just get
back to the weight we were in college… If we could just squeeze into our
wedding dress… stop wearing the maternity pants once the baby is born! But
sometimes the weight isn’t quite so literal, is it? Sometimes the weight is the hard
parts of life we have forgotten with time – like:
College Melissa’s eating disorder.
Newlywed Melissa’s fear of abandonment and need to learn communications skills.
New mom Melissa wondering, to this day, if her kids would be better off with a different mom.
Newlywed Melissa’s fear of abandonment and need to learn communications skills.
New mom Melissa wondering, to this day, if her kids would be better off with a different mom.
As we drove, looking at the sand, water, and beautiful
beachfront homes, I decided I wouldn’t trade what we are working on here for
what I once had or something I would currently deem “better.” My history wasn't glamorous as I was living it; there was a lot of heartache before I was who I am... I will not waste any more of my life longing for who I once
was or what I once looked like - I will simply enjoy growing into someone better. I may not grow old in the sand or travel the world, but I will appreciate the beauty of the life I have and where I am. Because my history has provided too much wisdom and learning not to. I will love more deeply and be present for the good as
opposed to just surviving the hard to look back on the good. I will relish in the smiles, breath in clean clothes, and laugh at wondering what I just stepped in.
Yes. My life is not glamorous. But this is the only life I have.
And in 10 years, the life I am living now will be looked back on as the best
years of my life. So, I better get to enjoying these now
while I can. 







Oh Melissa, I loved this so much and can fully relate. Fun to see those Hawaii pictures right on top. I miss Hawaii Ashley quite a bit sometimes too, but 31 year old Ashley is so much wiser and stronger and hopefully I can pass some of that down to my girls before they go off to BYUH (because obviously they will go to school there and live in the Bus Stop House too, right?). It's so hard not to wish to be back somewhere/sometime. I still miss living abroad so much but I'm working on trying to appreciate the present and where we are right now. It's hard sometimes and I really appreciated your post. <3
ReplyDelete